2019 Homecoming Parade Rules and Regulations
- The Parade Committee reserves the right to bar from the Parade, AT ANY TIME, any entry not conforming to the rules and regulations, or refusing to follow instructions of police or Parade officials. The Parade Committee also reserves the right of final decision on entries accepted for the Parade.
- Entries must avoid matter which discriminates against, is offensive to or disparages any person or group on the basis of race, gender, national origin, disability, political viewpoint, age, religion, sexual orientation or personal characteristics. Entries should limit their displays to positive identification of their group and a positive UM spirit-building artistic theme and message.
- University entries, bands, youth organizations, school groups and entries with people with disabilities or senior citizens typically are placed in the first half of the Parade. All other entries are assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis according to when payment is received.
- A number of entries may feature music, and it is possible that several will be next to each other. Please plan accordingly.
- The Parade Committee reserves the right to space all Parade entries according to its discretion.
- During election years, candidates for public office MUST group with others of their party to design a well-decorated entry promoting the Parade theme.
- NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES will be allowed on or in any entry vehicle. No consumption of alcoholic beverages by Parade participants will be allowed before or during the Parade. Parade officials will monitor all entries.
- Very important reminder: City ordinance prohibits the throwing of candy or other materials during the Parade!
Only a Parade participant on foot may hand candy or other items to Parade spectators on the sidewalk. To keep youngsters from surging into the street to retrieve candy, distributors must walk at curbside to hand out candy. Please respect our concern for children’s safety. Entries that disregard this Parade regulation may be considered for exclusion from future Homecoming Parades!
- All individuals and motorized vehicles must have their own liability insurance to relieve the University of Montana, the city of Missoula, and any members of the Parade Committee/staff from liability. Drivers are responsible for people on/around their entry. All riders must remain on the vehicle unless it is at a complete stop.
- All vehicle drivers must hold a legal driver’s license and have unobstructed visibility. Distance between the Parade units must be no more than 10 feet. This distance must be maintained at all times.
- All entries with animals must have pooper scoopers!
- As a safety measure, in case of a real emergency, vehicles equipped with sirens or horns will not be allowed to blow them! No loud motorized vehicles or machinery will be allowed and absolutely NO revving of engines. Any entry that does not abide by this rule will be removed from the Parade.
- In accordance with Parade rules, all floats and vehicles must be decorated with the Homecoming theme.
- Parade number and organization name: You are responsible for providing your own official Parade lineup position number with organization name on one 36” x 24” (minimum) card. This must be prominently displayed on the front of your entry. It may be part of a banner that is carried in front of your entry or on your vehicle or float.
Questions? Please call 406-243-5211.